Wednesday 26 October 2011

blog post # 4


"Monkeyface Chronicles by Richard Scarsbrook - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists." Share Book ____Recommendations With  Your Friends, Join Book Clubs, Answer Trivia. Web. 11 Dec. 2011.
I suffer from a rather extreme facial deformity. A mutation in my IRF6 gene (which stands for Interfon Regulatory Factor 6) caused me to be born with a cleft lip, unusual teeth, and a flattened nose. (Scarsbrook, The Monkeyface Chronicles, page#13)

Unlike Grum and Grunt, who are identical twins, Michael and I are the non-identical fraternal kind. This is a fortunate thing for Michael. Unlike me, he has an architecturally perfect face; sky blue eyes, wavy dark hair, strong cheekbones, square jaw, and a straight, chiseled nose. He is strong, smart, kind and handsome. (Scarsbrook, The Monkeyface Chronicles 14) 

The main character in this book is Phillip Skyler. I am only partway into this book, but so far the characteristic that fits the main character is insecure. He is judged by a number of people due to his facial deformity. He also is compared to his twin brother Michael, who is described to be perfect. I think the outcome of this character will be that he is going to be happy with the way he is; he is going to ignore all the people who have judged him and worry about what he thinks of himself.

Here is a music video that relates to the term insecure. The song is called "Don't Laugh At Me" by Mark Wills. The song is all about being judged, and the person telling them to stop; which is basically what Phillip is going through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv9fN0-062k

3 comments:

  1. I think you did a good job saying what you think the character thinks, and feels. I also liked how you connected him to his brother and how everyone says his brother is perfect and he is not. I believe that whether you know it or not, there is a hidden message behind this such as we are all perfect the way we were made! Great work! my only advice is to use more words than and to join things such as also, as well, ect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the video you choose fits really well with the book! Assuming that your done now, how did you like the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Tina said, this song matches the book very well. If you're done the book, how did it end?

    ReplyDelete