Wednesday 13 February 2013

blogpost # 1


     In a good book, the three qualities I think it should contain is suspense, adventure and emotion. I like books that are suspenseful and leave you wondering "what would happen if..?" or "what is going to happen next?" etc. I like a book that actually gives you feeling throughout the whole book and actually lets you get in to the book your reading and lets you imagine what is happening. Another quality I think should be included in a book is adventure. I love when characters are exploring, and the books setting as changed, the idea of what is happening is expanding etc. I think adventure just makes a book all the more interesting. Another quality I believe should be included is emotion. Not exactly the very sad, tragic kind of detail, but something that gives you butterflies, or gives you a weird feeling, so you know your into the book your reading, as well as making personal connections.

     The book I am currently reading is Candy, written by Kevin Brooks. So far all that has happened is a routine being explained in a teenager by the name of Joe, just information about him, his family, etc. Then a trip to another city for a doctors appointment leads to him meeting the love of his life. Her name is Candy. She is very open and up front about things, but at the same time mysterious. A run in with a very scary man named "Iggy" exposed the truth about her, she did leave out one key piece of information about her, she is a prostitute. So far the book is filled with a lot of emotion, all the feelings are being explained that Joe has towards candy, all the questions he asks himself, basically all his thoughts. I am quite early on in the book so there hasn't been much suspension just yet, and I can feel the adventure starting.

     An example from the book that shows emotion is: "It's hard to imagine life before Candy. Sometimes I sit here for hours, staring into the past, trying to remember what it was like, but I never seem to get very far. I just can't see my self without her." (Brooks 1)


Works Cited MLA 
Brooks, Kevin. Candy. New York: Scholastic, 2005. Print.


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are enjoying CANDY because of its suspense and emotion. These are the qualities that I often find myself engaged with while reading as well.


    You have included a direct quotation with a citation (Take the , out between Brooks and 1 = (Brooks 1) ). Next time try to incorporate the quotation right into the body of the text you have written. You may want to check to see if your bibliographic citation is complete as well: Brooks, Kevin. CANDY. Canada: Print. (year? Place of Publication?)

    PS: Carefully check your spelling your = you're = you are.

    ReplyDelete