Thursday 21 February 2013

blogpost #2

1. + 2.
-few characters(5)
-suspense(1)
-immediacy(2)
-conflict(4)
-trap/obstacle(3)












http://abookadventure.blogspot.ca/2010/11/candy-by-kevin-brooks.html

Suspense

The element suspense is used a lot in the book Candy by Kevin Brooks. The book contains so many thoughts and feelings, building up within scenes, always leaving you wanting more. It always has you wondering what's going to happen next, or what does this mean etc. Along with suspense comes mystery, especially with the one of the main characters whose name is Candy, secrets keep piling out as the story goes on. One of the scenes I've most recently read is at a club where Joe, the main character, is with his band performing, while an unexpected fight between unexpected people unfolds. "At first I thought it was just another fight, and I wasn't particularly worried about it. You get them all the time in places like The Black Room- drunken scuffles, a few punches, arguments that get out of hand.." "Just then, the scuffle at the back of the club got louder again and my eyes were drawn to the noise. A gap appeared in the crowd now, and I could see some of the people involved. The first person I recognized was one of the black guys I'd seen earlier in the pub. Then- with growing unease- I noticed another and another.. and another. They were all there. Half a dozen of them, standing in a semicircle with their backs to the door, facing down another black guy. This one had his back to me, so I couldn't see his face.. But I knew who it was.."(Brooks, Kevin 133-134). This book always goes very into detail, and always keeps questions entering your mind. Why did a fight occur? Who was it between? Did it  have something to do with Joe? With Candy? Is Joe in danger? etc. That's the best part of suspense, it gets you thinking, it gets you into the book your reading and really makes books all the more interesting. 


MLA:

Brooks, Kevin. Candy. New York: Scholastic, 2005. Print.




No comments:

Post a Comment